Just got a flat tire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDegolf

I just started driving and my egolf got a completely flat tire. Just used the VW roadside assistance and will update this thread after the experience. Glad the car has this feature but wish I didn't get a flat.

I used the built in telematics to contact roadside assistance. Tow truck flatbed arrived in 45 minutes and I just signed a form. They towed it to the dealership no charge. They also provided an Uber ride home. Also no charge. I'll just have to pay for a new tire replacement. Overall pretty content with the service.

Aside from a 45-minute wait that isn't too bad at all, and VW doesn't even have control over that because the tow trucks are 3rd party contractors.

If you have somewhere you need to be, you don't even need to wait with the car. When my wife and I ran out of charge we left the car in a rest area and a key in the console and unlocked it remotely (with the app) when the driver called us that he was there.

Interesting. On my 2015 SEL, I cannot lock the car if the key is inside the vehicle.

Frank3 said:
Interesting. On my 2015 SEL, I cannot lock the car if the key is inside the vehicle.
Have you tried it with the phone? You might not be able to lock it with a 2nd key fob but still able to lock it with your phone with a fob inside the car.

Frank3 said:
If you really have a need to do this, remove the battery from the fob inside the car. A zip top bag would be handy to hold the fob, the battery, and the removed battery cover together so the person who will be let into the car remotely can easily put it together and drive the car.

Frank3 said:
Can't lock the car on a 2015 via phone app. You can only unlock it.
European Car-Net has no lock nor unlock function.

Can you really lock a US 2016 e-Golf through Car-Net??? I have a 2015, so I don't know.

miimura said:
Frank3 said:
Can't lock the car on a 2015 via phone app. You can only unlock it.
European Car-Net has no lock nor unlock function.

Can you really lock a US 2016 e-Golf through Car-Net??? I have a 2015, so I don't know.

Yes indeed you can.

I have a 2016 and am able to remotely lock and unlock the car.

The dealer replaced it with the same OEM tire which came out to a little over $150 after tax/labor. Also, came with the usual car wash/multi-point inspection/car charging. Pricing was in line . Tire Rack sells the same exact tire for $125 shipped, so pricing is reasonable.

Fortunately, my wheel was fine. The big problem with a flat tire is not so much the tire replacement itself, but the integrity of the wheel itself.

I did not realize the 2015 and 2016 models had car-net differences like that. Being unable to lock the car remotely makes the locking charger issue even more egregious. I always assumed someone could unlock it remotely and then re-lock it, but apparently that's not an option for 2015 (or Euro) owners.

Also, you might it useful that America's/Discount Tire will warranty your tires even though you didn't buy them there. I think I paid around $20 per tire. I did it for all my VW's, it's good for 3 years, and it paid itself off a couple times over since I've had two flats and a few repairs in the last few years.

Back