Maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bizzle said:
forbin404 said:
If you go in with 3mm (I'm making that up)
You don't have to make any number up. The same links that people use to justify their position on this subject already determined the difference to be 2/32", which is .6mm, or roughly half of what you wrote.

What links are you referring to? The ones I included before your post that I quoted don't specify the actual difference. The closest is Tire Rack who mention if the axle pairs are "significantly" different in tread depth.

Assuming the 2/32" difference you mention is correct, and one pair is down to the wear bars (which are themselves at 2/32"), if the lesser-worn-down pair is at 4/32, IMHO those tires are on the verge of wearing out anyway. You'll be back at the tire shop soon enough, so unless money is super tight you might as well have them replaced at the same time. You can always ask the tire shop for them back to sell them on Craigslist, or and/or make spare tires out of them, if you really feel the need to eke the last value out of them.

BTW according to this link http://mdcommerce.bg/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Tire-tread-depth-conversion.pdf 2/32 of an inch is 1.59 mm, not 0.6 mm. You mixed up mm with inches (it's 0.63 inches).

RonDawg said:
BTW according to this link http://mdcommerce.bg/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Tire-tread-depth-conversion.pdf 2/32 of an inch is 1.59 mm, not 0.6 mm. You mixed up mm with inches (it's 0.63 inches).
It wasn't anything more than a typo. I wrote it in inches and accidentally put "mm" but 1.59mm is roughly half of the 3mm tread depth he listed, which was what I actually wrote in the sentence so I'm not sure what you think you are correcting.

You can argue and create all kinds of various scenarios to make your point valid, but the simple fact of the matter is when you go to rotate your tires the best ones are put on the front and the worn are put on the rear. I have never had a tire shop tell me that my tires differed by an amount too large to rotate and I doubt anyone has ever heard of that in reality (not in hypothetical-land). The only time this comes up is when someone opts to buy two new tires for some odd reason. It doesn't even factor when you have to replace *one* tire, which is a far more frequent occurrence.

bizzle said:
It wasn't anything more than a typo. I wrote it in inches and accidentally put "mm" but 1.59mm is roughly half of the 3mm tread depth he listed, which was what I actually wrote in the sentence so I'm not sure what you think you are correcting.

I'm correcting the fact that you put down "0.6 mm" when it should have been "0.06 inches." I never disputed the second part ("half of 3mm").

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting to hear from you about where YOU got that 0.06 inches/1.59 mm figure that you are quoting. You claim it comes from "the same links that people use to justify their position on this subject" but as I mentioned earlier I looked at those articles and found no specific tread depth differential mentioned. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're going to tell another poster he's wrong, at least back it up with sources that others can read for themselves.

You can argue and create all kinds of various scenarios to make your point valid, but the simple fact of the matter is when you go to rotate your tires the best ones are put on the front and the worn are put on the rear. I have never had a tire shop tell me that my tires differed by an amount too large to rotate and I doubt anyone has ever heard of that in reality (not in hypothetical-land). The only time this comes up is when someone opts to buy two new tires for some odd reason. It doesn't even factor when you have to replace *one* tire, which is a far more frequent occurrence.

Umm, that was the exactly the situation I was talking about: someone who only buys two tires, rather than replacing all four. Here's a quote of exactly what I said: "Some folks prefer to not rotate tires until the fronts are bald, in which the rears are swapped to the front and new tires put on the rear (for liability reasons, tire shops will always put new tires on the rear axle)." The links from Tire Rack and Discount Tire specifically addressed this situation.

One part I will concede was erroneous is where I said "tire shops will always put new tires on the rear axle." But again I've provided links to two major tire retailers who said it's preferable to put the new tires on the rear axle. One of them said it's tire industry practice.

Just because it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it never happens. The results I linked to about people who had tire shops refuse to rotate excessively worn tires to the front axle came from Google. It's never happened to me, because I rotate my tires regularly, so they're all within 1/32 of each other by the time the car needs new treads. Except the time I did have to replace one tire once due to a blowout, and the tire shop put it on the back axle.

You know I think I was spot on my 3mm discussion.

That's 3mm DIFFERENCE between front tires and back.

I'm not sure anyone will put the thicker in the back when there is only a 1mm difference.
2mm is pushing it. But 3mm is defintely time to put the good tires in the back.

All that talk about 1mm which is basically at the nubs, it's time to replace those tires, don't even dare put them in the front.

forbin404 said:

I'm not sure anyone will put the thicker in the back when there is only a 1mm difference.

All that talk about 1mm which is basically at the nubs, it's time to replace those tires, don't even dare put them in the front.

Save the 1mm tread in front for track days, no need to shave your tires.

forbin404 said:

If I wasn't clear the first time, tests by professional drivers under controlled conditions indicate that as little as a 1.5mm difference between the front and rear tires matters. You weren't "spot on," you were guessing when an answer already exists based on data.

No one is talking about using tires with only 1mm tread depth.

Back