Safety Recall 93B4 2015-2016 e-Golf Unexpected Shutdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I did is mention the TSB and that I'd like to get it done as well as the recall. I didn't have to do anything else except wait for the car.

RonDawg said:
All I did is mention the TSB and that I'd like to get it done as well as the recall. I didn't have to do anything else except wait for the car.

Miles on your e-Golf now, and are you noticing any battery degradation yet, compared to the Leaf?

JoulesThief said:
Miles on your e-Golf now, and are you noticing any battery degradation yet?

3800 miles, and I'm not getting the range I did back in August but I blame that on the colder weather. I'm still getting more range than I did with the Leaf when it was brand new.

RonDawg said:
New Century in Glendale. They did the climate control update for free.

And it didn't take. I didn't drive the car once I got home from the dealership Saturday morning until yesterday evening. I recall setting it to 68F when I left the dealership. 30 hours later I get in the car and the temp is....72 F again. :evil:

RonDawg said:
RonDawg said:

And it didn't take. I didn't drive the car once I got home from the dealership Saturday morning until yesterday evening. I recall setting it to 68F when I left the dealership. 30 hours later I get in the car and the temp is....72 F again. :evil:

Can you make a copy of your invoice for us to see?

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:
RonDawg said:

Can you make a copy of your invoice for us to see?

VW%20Service%2012March2016_zpswmldwx9f.jpg

I left out page 2 as there wasn't anything pertinent in it.

RonDawg said:
I left out page 2 as there wasn't anything pertinent in it.

That's a bummer that it didn't "take" on the Tech Tip. Actually, I was quite surprised the next morning, after mine was done, that it did "take"... I've been very happy ever since. Guess another technician needs to have a go at it for a redo. Maybe on a weekday, it's a quick process, they did mine in 5 minutes, I think, I watched Simon at Antelope Valley VW do it, through the window.

synergy said:
My 2016 SE leased Oct 2015 is affected - checked VIN on the website, brought in today and had the software update done - took about 1,5 hrs.
It may get busy if all e-golfs are at risk, so best to check before the letters get mailed.

Thanks for the time estimate, and yes, I'd agree that it may get super busy at the dealership, so I checked my 2016 SE's VIN, and sure enough, I was on the list. I booked an appointment for tomorrow.

I usually try to wait on software updates, but the comments on the NHTSA complaint logs (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues) convinced me otherwise. It's one thing to shut down (bad enough), but not being able to restart to get out of the way on a freeway for an extended duration is pretty scary.

NHTSA recalls/complaints database 2015 e-Golf query results:
http://goo.gl/K9tsRz

NHTSA recalls/complaints database 2016 e-Golf query results:
http://goo.gl/LR5mJL

Thanks to the forum and the members for keeping me updated -- I went in to get the 93B4 firmware update on my 2016 SE. It took a bit over an hour -- it probably could have been less than an hour if they skipped the courtesy multi-point inspection and car wash.

Of course, $0 charge. I did not bother asking about the delayed charging and/or climate control TSB's, since I wanted to them to just concentrate on the one, important fix, and the other fixes are not *as* important to me.

Not having to worry about my car shutting down in the middle of the road is nice. Thanks again.

JoulesThief said:
I know it's early for this recall, but has VW of America started mailing out recall notices yet? Has anyone received on yet in the mail, or via an email?

Got my recall letter in the mail yesterday. I'll make an appointment to take it in next week. Mine's a '16 SE picked up 10/31/15.

I got my registration renewal requiring me to show proof of correction for the emissions label so I made an appt and took mine in to New Century VW in Glendale last Friday to take care of that as well as 93B4. I asked them to fix the climate control issue while it was there. I was promised my car by end of day and got a call at 5:30pm that my car was ready. When I got to the dealership, they said they were getting some kind of error code from my car and they kept it over the weekend and they'd work on it again on Monday (I assume the e-Golf tech only works M-F). Thankfully they gave me a free rental for the weekend.

I picked up my car yesterday and all seems to be fine so far. My invoice has a separate line item that states "XX Temperature settings reset per customer request." So far, it held overnight- I shut the car off at 5:30pm with it set to 68 degrees and this morning at 8:45am, it still read 68. I'll update if it doesn't stick over a longer period of time.

Hetz8500 said:
I got my registration renewal requiring me to show proof of correction for the emissions label so I made an appt and took mine in to New Century VW in Glendale last Friday to take care of that as well as 93B4. I asked them to fix the climate control issue while it was there. I was promised my car by end of day and got a call at 5:30pm that my car was ready. When I got to the dealership, they said they were getting some kind of error code from my car and they kept it over the weekend and they'd work on it again on Monday (I assume the e-Golf tech only works M-F). Thankfully they gave me a free rental for the weekend.

I picked up my car yesterday and all seems to be fine so far. My invoice has a separate line item that states "XX Temperature settings reset per customer request." So far, it held overnight- I shut the car off at 5:30pm with it set to 68 degrees and this morning at 8:45am, it still read 68. I'll update if it doesn't stick over a longer period of time.

Turn your temp to "LO" and your fan off, while still driving, shortly before you stop and shut the "on/off" switch off for your last drive of the day. Note the readings and write them down.

If the following morning, the fan is "off", they opened window 5 and set the adaptation value correctly on the Body Control Module, to remember last settings as the default value.

Hetz8500 said:

I had my car's update done at New Century. Per the service advisor, each eGolf-certified dealer is supposed to have two such techs, but one of theirs recently quit. Prior to that, they each worked alternate Saturdays. The Saturday I showed up was the day for the "other" tech (the one who quit) to work, but I was lucky in that the one who was still working there had to come in on his day off to work on something else. That's why I mentioned earlier to check with the dealer to make sure they will have a certified tech working.

However, if they are getting error codes, they might need to consult with the "Mother Ship" for guidance and they don't work weekends.

I just got the recall update done at VW Pasadena. I did not buy the car there because the sales person was beyond annoying but the service department is actually really good. Friendly and helpful people, if you go there ask for Wendy.

I also requested the climate control update and they did that, too (not verified yet). They did mention this is only covered free within the 12k mile/1 year period whatever that means. Sounds like some kind of an accommodation but I don't care as long as it is free. Everything was done within a few hours and they sent me an email and a text to pick it up. Not bad and much closer than the dealership I bought the car from.

Slomove said:
I just got the recall update done at VW Pasadena. I did not buy the car there because the sales person was beyond annoying but the service department is actually really good. Friendly and helpful people, if you go there ask for Wendy.

I also requested the climate control update and they did that, too (not verified yet). They did mention this is only covered free within the 12k mile/1 year period whatever that means. Sounds like some kind of an accommodation but I don't care as long as it is free. Everything was done within a few hours and they sent me an email and a text to pick it up. Not bad and much closer than the dealership I bought the car from.

Wendy didn't do the A/C TT for me. The tech came back with "already applied", which I inferred as a miscommunication and they thought I was asking about last year's AC Fault TSB.

Unbeliever said:
......Wendy didn't do the A/C TT for me. The tech came back with "already applied", which I inferred as a miscommunication and they thought I was asking about last year's AC Fault TSB.

Ah, she mentioned another customer who requested that but did not say it was not done then. I did however supply the information from the separate thread here about climate control and maybe that helped them to figure it out?

Update...yes, the climate control modification worked. It stays now always where I set it.

2016 e-Golf SE... got the recall letter. I'll make sure to mention the climate control problem when I schedule my service as well.

Slomove said:
Unbeliever said:
......Wendy didn't do the A/C TT for me. The tech came back with "already applied", which I inferred as a miscommunication and they thought I was asking about last year's AC Fault TSB.

Ah, she mentioned another customer who requested that but did not say it was not done then. I did however supply the information from the separate thread here about climate control and maybe that helped them to figure it out?

I haven't checked it today, but I had to go back in this morning for the load rating sticker recall as it had to be VIN ordered, and they realized what I was asking for (likely from your info) and applied the TT at the same time.

The VW dealership in Hayward, CA applied the high voltage battery management software update to my 2016 eGolf today. So far so good. I shouldn't notice any changes and so far I don't.

Back