Safety Recall 93B4 2015-2016 e-Golf Unexpected Shutdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received the recall letter (for my 2015 SEL with 1,600 miles) in the mail last week and had an appointment to get the update the next day (Patrick VW in Auburn, MA).

I had them do the climate control update as well, and so far so good. The temperature for both driver and passenger remain at their last settings and the same with the on/off!

Also asked about updates for the radio station changing by itself and delayed charging issues, but they had no fix for those.

I received my recall letter the same Monday most everyone else did. I went in to Antelope Valley Volkswagen to have the 93B4 recall reflash performed. It took about an hour and 10 minutes for the computer to save all my settings and then reload and reflash the new settings. The laptop at one point indicated that the server in the Motherland was so loaded up that it was going to take 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete. All said and done, it was about 45 minutes spent online. Car could not charge during this update, so bring your car in with a decent charge in it. Tech had a bit of difficulty finding the recall, this was his first time seeing it. Job paid dealership about $86 for the reflash and .90 units.

Time consuming, but painless.

just got my safety recall software update done yesterday..

is it just me or does anyone else notice a significant increase in accelerator peddle responsiveness? it is as if the software upgrade also included a re-mapping of the accelerator response (not complaining though!!)

in "D" mode it is very noticeable to me.. car seems to accelerate significantly faster than pre-software update

even Eco and Eco+ modes seem a little bit more peppy wrt accelerator response, though not quite as much as in "D" mode

as a matter of fact, to me, it makes Eco+ mode seem quite bearable for every day driving (before I would only use Eco+ mode if I needed to nurse the car back home)

anyone else?

I got the notice and set an appointment with VW of Van Nuys for the fix. I got there, waited 20 minutes and then when they got to me I asked them to also take care of the 72 fix. The supersnarky service tech said, "The guy who does their software fixes for egolfs is home sick so they can't do it." I reminded him that my appointment was for a software fix and the smug creep casually added, "Oh then we can't do that either since the guy who knows how to do it is out today." I mentioned that I built my entire afternoon around this appointment but the tech guy totally nonplussed replied, "I can't control if my employees get sick." I said, "Yes but you CAN control your schedule and perhaps you can look at it and see how many people are coming in for appointments that only the sick guy can handle and maybe you could call those unfortunate people in advance and tell them not to come in."

He smugly agreed with that.

So now my car isn't fixed and VW of Van Nuys apparently got customer service training from Comcast. Seriously that place is horrible.

Guess I'm calling Galpin.

eGolfeGirl said:
I got the notice and set an appointment with VW of Van Nuys for the fix. I got there, waited 20 minutes and then when they got to me I asked them to also take care of the 72 fix. The supersnarky service tech said, "The guy who does their software fixes for egolfs is home sick so they can't do it." I reminded him that my appointment was for a software fix and the smug creep casually added, "Oh then we can't do that either since the guy who knows how to do it is out today." I mentioned that I built my entire afternoon around this appointment but the tech guy totally nonplussed replied, "I can't control if my employees get sick." I said, "Yes but you CAN control your schedule and perhaps you can look at it and see how many people are coming in for appointments that only the sick guy can handle and maybe you could call those unfortunate people in advance and tell them not to come in."

He smugly agreed with that.

So now my car isn't fixed and VW of Van Nuys apparently got customer service training from Comcast. Seriously that place is horrible.

Guess I'm calling Galpin.
I'd try Livingston in Woodland Hills before Galpin. Or Parkway VW in Valencia. Seriously... avoid Galpin, I've had nothing but poor experiences with them, on several TDI's and TDI's are way more common than e-Golfs. Never forget them trying to sell you oil changes with your e-Golf. There's your ethics sign.

nuzirr said:
just got my safety recall software update done yesterday..

is it just me or does anyone else notice a significant increase in accelerator peddle responsiveness? it is as if the software upgrade also included a re-mapping of the accelerator response (not complaining though!!)

I haven't noticed any change in pedal responsiveness since the update. However I don't use the Eco modes unless the car switches itself there due to low battery charge.

eGolfeGirl said:

If you get a survey from VWoA, make sure to fill it out and that you express how badly you were treated.

I got mine done yesterday. I also complained (hopefully in words that trigger action) about the Climatronic resetting.
I just picked the car up and the corrections listed are "93b4 software update" and "perform software update sum code 3da3". The previous info I'd seen on here about the climate control was that it was corrected by TT87 15 02, so I hope 3DA3 is the same thing.

I also complained about two other issues I have, both with the infotainment system.
I keep turning HD radio off and it keeps coming back on. I haven't been able to figure out when or why it comes back on, I just know that when the radio keeps cutting in and out, it's come back on. (Pointless feature IMHO).
The other issue is that when I change back from playing a Bluetooth media source to the radio, the volume is switched to zero.
For both of these issues they tested the car by turning it on and off a few times and declared the radio is working to spec.

I know I'm not imagining the issues with the HD setting and the volume, so I'll just have to keep complaining until I find the right language that makes them apply a fix.

GadgetGav said:
I got mine done yesterday. I also complained (hopefully in words that trigger action) about the Climatronic resetting.
I just picked the car up and the corrections listed are "93b4 software update" and "perform software update sum code 3da3". The previous info I'd seen on here about the climate control was that it was corrected by TT87 15 02, so I hope 3DA3 is the same thing.

I also complained about two other issues I have, both with the infotainment system.
I keep turning HD radio off and it keeps coming back on. I haven't been able to figure out when or why it comes back on, I just know that when the radio keeps cutting in and out, it's come back on. (Pointless feature IMHO).
The other issue is that when I change back from playing a Bluetooth media source to the radio, the volume is switched to zero.
For both of these issues they tested the car by turning it on and off a few times and declared the radio is working to spec.

I know I'm not imagining the issues with the HD setting and the volume, so I'll just have to keep complaining until I find the right language that makes them apply a fix.
As someone who got a rent a car for 2 weeks for them to fix the radio, at this moment we are SOL.

What year car do you have?

GadgetGav said:

3DA3 is the SVM (Software Version Management) code for performing the 93B4 recall.. The 94B4 is for the "High-Voltage Battery Management System Software"

Don't be afraid to tell your service adviser that you would like the HVAC to remain to your last setting or even supply them with the tech tip. If you come in and tell them that the HVAC is resetting on its own there will be no repair as it is working as VW designed it to.

BrianZ said:
GadgetGav said:

3DA3 is the SVM (Software Version Management) code for performing the 93B4 recall.. The 94B4 is for the "High-Voltage Battery Management System Software"

Don't be afraid to tell your service adviser that you would like the HVAC to remain to your last setting or even supply them with the tech tip. If you come in and tell them that the HVAC is resetting on its own there will be no repair as it is working as VW designed it to.

I did tell them the Tech Tip number, but they ignored me. As I've found out in the last two days the Climatronic still goes back to 72 and Auto every time I start up. I used the wording that someone on here used to get them to change it and provided the TT, so I thought I'd done the right thing, but no. I don't know why they need to hear a certain phrase (and why it's not the same phrase at each dealership) before they'll do what the customer wants. I already asked them to change it when it was in for the first service.
Time to complain on the survey - maybe that will get results.

forbin404 said:
As someone who got a rent a car for 2 weeks for them to fix the radio, at this moment we are SOL.

No fix after 2 weeks? Did you have the same problems with volume going to zero and HD radio?

GadgetGav said:
BrianZ said:
GadgetGav said:

I did tell them the Tech Tip number, but they ignored me. As I've found out in the last two days the Climatronic still goes back to 72 and Auto every time I start up. I used the wording that someone on here used to get them to change it and provided the TT, so I thought I'd done the right thing, but no. I don't know why they need to hear a certain phrase (and why it's not the same phrase at each dealership) before they'll do what the customer wants. I already asked them to change it when it was in for the first service.
Time to complain on the survey - maybe that will get results.

forbin404 said:

No fix after 2 weeks? Did you have the same problems with volume going to zero and HD radio?

You can go in to settings and select what volume the radio starts at every time, from 0 to full volume, and many choices in between.

GadgetGav said:
forbin404 said:

Mine was a 2016 SE and they were trying to figure out why my radio won't change from channel 1 to 15 from the stalk.

Turns out the service writer keeps leaving out important info, and the service tech keeps doing something else.
Finally they replicated it on ALL of their 2016 SE's and VW confirmed that there is no fix yet.
Took them 2 weeks of going back and forth and people taking Vacations on key days like delivery dates.

forbin404 said:
GadgetGav said:
forbin404 said:

Mine was a 2016 SE and they were trying to figure out why my radio won't change from channel 1 to 15 from the stalk.

Turns out the service writer keeps leaving out important info, and the service tech keeps doing something else.
Finally they replicated it on ALL of their 2016 SE's and VW confirmed that there is no fix yet.
Took them 2 weeks of going back and forth and people taking Vacations on key days like delivery dates.

if I had a quarter for every time I've heard from a service advisor that the technician, or someone in the Fatherland, Germany is on vacation, I'd be a millionaire.

Tech tip, never schedule to get anything major fixed in the month of August... all of Germany is shut down and it seems like they are all on vacation then, there's nothing the technician can do, or person to get ahold of, to get a major problem on your car fixed. True stories, several times. Forget August, wipe it off your service calendar.

Back