[south Bay Area] Electrician recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you had an electrician to install a 240v in your garage for your charging station and recommended him/her, can you PM me the contact info please?

Thanks in advance
Jamiee

write2warriors said:
If you had an electrician to install a 240v in your garage for your charging station and recommended him/her, can you PM me the contact info please?

Thanks in advance
Jamiee

It might help if you posted roughly what part of which state you're located in to limit the responses a bit.

write2warriors said:

Thanks in advance
Jamiee

This is a tiny job, no electrical contractor is going to want to drive far to do a 2 to 3 hour job for $500. Find an electrical contractor as local as possible to you to save them some drive time to get to your home to start working, otherwise you pay for their driving time, too, at $90-110 an hour.

Hi,

I'm looking for the same thing right now, ~80ft cable run in the attic from the panel in the back of the house into the garage. The best quote I got was $500 plus actual cost materials (est. $300). Another quote was $1300. Is $800 reasonable for such a job in SF Bay Area?

Regards,
Alex

alexecar said:
Hi,

I'm looking for the same thing right now, ~80ft cable run in the attic from the panel in the back of the house into the garage. The best quote I got was $500 plus actual cost materials (est. $300). Another quote was $1300. Is $800 reasonable for such a job in SF Bay Area?

Regards,
Alex
80' run of conduit?
Hmm..$500 sounds like 4 hours of labor...probably reasonable for SoCal.

alexecar said:
Hi,

Regards,
Alex

80 feet is a long run, your material costs are going to add up. The shops down here sometimes quote both ways, by the lineal foot, or by the job, time wise. $10-11 a foot is normal on smaller jobs, plus some sort of fixed drive time expense. I'd say $800 is a pretty fair price, especially if they aren't having to bust through any stucco, siding or drywall. Make sure they pull a permit and that the work gets inspected. For that length of run, I would absolutely future proof the run, and request that they run a minimum of 6 gauge wire, good for 40 amp continuous, with that length of a run. You don't want to have to redo this when 200 mile range electric cars come out, or you step up to a Tesla and want 80 amp capability.

Think about the future electrical needs of your transportation, do the job once, and do it right, future proof it.

I just had a GE Wattstation installed and the CA licensed and bonded electrician was fantastic.
I got a brand new warrantied Wattstation for $400 from a local guy who resells overstock.

This electrician came recommended on the neighborhood chat but I checked his license status online with the state.

He came early, cleaned up everything and was very efficient. His fee was extremely fair. I called about 12 electricians to get quotes. Half didn't return the calls and most quoted quite a bit more than I paid and didn't even have time to install immediately. Some wanted to schedule an appointment for several weeks out. Brendan squeezed me in the next day.

With his permission I'm posting his information.

His name is Brendan O'Brien and he's based out of Torrance. +1 (310) 213-0772

It took him and his assistant about 3-4 hours to double up a switch in the panel, run cable under the house through the crawl space and install the NEMA plug. The WV charger is about 49-50 feet away from the panel.

You can pm me for more details but I am thoroughly impressed by his professionalism and efficiency. I would use him again and for any other electrical issue we might have in the future.

Back