[Bay Area Leasing] Good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bizzle said:
Charging it at home is irrelevant to the conversation because you are claiming that you could have driven an SEL from Murrieta to El Centro in a day without any problems so the conversation is about publicly charging an SEL vs. an SE while traveling 150 miles at 75+ mph.

The counterpoint I made was that the average, non-retired driver would have to wait an unreasonable time to charge it up even with a 7.2kwh on-board charger. I said it'd take 6 hours while you say it would take 3 at a public charger. Now let's see the math to see who was closer to the mark:

Public charging voltage sags to about 200v and a 7.2kwh charger operating at about 85% comes out to about 5kw/h.
That's somewhere between 4.5 to 5 hours. Strictly speaking, it's right in the middle of your and my estimation.

In real terms, it's irrelevant. Reasonable people, not trying to "win" an internet discussion, are equally unwilling to sit at a public charger for 3, 4.5, 5, or 6 hours. That is, even if it had only been a 3 hour charge, my wife and I still would have gone to our friend's house, had a nice dinner, watched a movie, had a nice sleep, and gotten up in the morning and continued on our trip.

Most people understand a day of driving to be about somewhere between 6 and 10 hours; and in the case of a limited range vehicle being driven for the first time would opt to travel those hours during daylight. I've never heard of anyone calculating a day of driving as 24 hours and I don't need to ask a Navy Seal to confirm that. I have enough long haul truckers in my family to know that you're talking out your ass to make a ridiculous point.

Those that can, do, those that can't, don't. A non commercial driver has no such restrictions.

bmwtech would prove your assumptions incorrect... and he drove from Valencia, CA to Los Gatos. Yes, he waited to charge a few times. 375 miles. In 24 hours. 2015 SEL

He drove at night... car has a gps and map on board, and he has an Iphone 6s with Google Maps, and PlugShare. He left Parkway VW in Valencia, CA around 4 pm. He made San Luis Obispo at a reasonable hour, around 9 pm. 170 miles, via highway 126 and highway 101.

My point is only ridiculous to you... others seem perfectly able of duplicating driving times and distances that I do, on a few charges.

It's all in the planning, or lack thereof, as well as execution. As others have stated, driving slow seems counter intuitive to increasing your range and shortening the amount of driving time/charging time to reach the end goal. When your car charges 3 to 5 times slower than it consumes electricity with 3.6 kwh charger.

I've done 114 miles on a charge, with 11 miles in reserve. Driving 50 to 55 mph, just as others have stated here.

And these are perfect examples why the 7.2 kwh charger and CCS SAE charger are an option one should could consider.

Some don't subscribe to the idea of charging at home being a limiting factor, which the 3.6kwh charge surely is.

To the OP... your money, your choice, buy what ever makes you happy, just don't complain about charging times if you opt for the 3.6 kwh charger package in the entry level SE e-Golf, because most of the time, you get what you pay for. bmwtech was like you, asked a few questions here, and decided the 7.2 and SAE combo charger was a must have. Ask him why, and if he has any regrets doing the SEL instead of a 2016 SE.

bmwtech had access to a level 3 charger along the way, which doesn't exist between San Diego and Imperial Valley (as I pointed out earlier). He charged up for 30 minutes at least once, three hours elsewhere, and charged overnight at a hotel. Even his fast charge capable SEL didn't prevent him from stopping somewhere overnight, just like our trip with the slower charger (except we stayed with friends).

bmwtech himself has since stated that even with his SEL, "there is an adjustment: You can not just hop in the car and drive to Los Angeles," and here is how he described his trip up
Bmwtech said:
As you know, it's a bit of a chore getting our cars up n down the state. The Costco charge in Goleta was in a big shopping center so that wasn't bad. Santa Barbara might've been even nicer, though a more expensive place to shop/sightsee ;) Charged up again in SLO. Plenty of options there and food/shopping/sights. King City is a little blip in the road. Passed through without stopping a gazillion times. But during my 3 hour charge there I wandered through town and found it quite charming. It's a migrant agriculture town with delightful Mexican bakeries and authentic little taquerias. Being from LA this might not sound appealling to you. For me it was a trip through little Mexico. Next stop Salinas or Gilroy. Both are small towns, both have DC Fast options if you were so inclined.
all of which indicate that he isn't likely to make that trip again unless he has to. He did it once. Maybe he'll see this thread and let us know how often he's used the DC fast charge option since.

He also bought his car and this thread is about leasing a car.

No one here is arguing that someone should *not* lease a DC fast charge capable SEL or SE, simply that one should evaluate all three options and decide whether one *needs* the option and not just pay more for an option that will not be necessary to enjoy or utilize the vehicle according to one's driving patterns.

There's no reason to pay a higher monthly lease payment for a feature that isn't necessary and each individual has to make that determination for him or herself.

rinukon said:
I got another quote for 0 down.
It just takes the 1354 down and applies it to to the monthly lease cost.

256 per month + tax. 0 down, same terms. 36 months 12K miles a year.

0 Down is not actually 0 down? The power of disclaimers (???)

I assume 1354 is for tax title and license?

rinukon said:
Hey,

Trying to take advantage of the year end deals and wound up talking to a dealer for a E-golf.

Got quoted the numbers below- Does it look like a good deal? Its my first time leasing so would really appreciate the help.

SE- 36 month 12K miles a year.

1354 due at signing ( tx accessory, document fee, acquisition fee, dmv fee and tax on rebate(?))
216 dollars a month + tax

The dealer said this includes the 7500 rebate + 1500 for not being a VW customer.

Regards

Question: Is it worth it to lease this ev car for 15k miles per year? How much more (than your quote above) do you think I should pay for the 15kmiles per year lease for 3 yrs?

Thanks.

newToECars said:
rinukon said:
Hey,

Trying to take advantage of the year end deals and wound up talking to a dealer for a E-golf.

Got quoted the numbers below- Does it look like a good deal? Its my first time leasing so would really appreciate the help.

SE- 36 month 12K miles a year.

1354 due at signing ( tx accessory, document fee, acquisition fee, dmv fee and tax on rebate(?))
216 dollars a month + tax

The dealer said this includes the 7500 rebate + 1500 for not being a VW customer.

Regards

Question: Is it worth it to lease this ev car for 15k miles per year? How much more (than your quote above) do you think I should pay for the 15kmiles per year lease for 3 yrs?

Thanks.
It's about $10 more dollars per month for every couple thousand miles a year.

newToECars said:
rinukon said:
Hey,

Thanks.

IMO, and experience, once you are used to electric the "free" aspect of it causes you to drive a lot more than you think you would.
As in, should we take your car or mine to dinner? Let's take mine, the gas is free.
I did a 15k lease on my 500e and 10 months in am just below 14k miles. Granted that's with a 100+ mile daily commute.

Fyi, just got lease on 2016 e-golf SE from NorCal/BayArea dealer--details as follows:
-36M
-10K miles/yr
-$2000down
-35monthly payments of $125

So, total over 3 years (incl all taxes fees etc, except dispo fee): $6375.

And after CArebate that total goes down by $2500 to: $3875.

As noted the above does not include dispo fee at end of lease if i dont buy (residual $12,579) or get another lease -- the dispo fee is $350.

That's a great deal !
Would you mind sharing which dealer ?

nswartzb said:
Fyi, just got lease on 2016 e-golf SE from NorCal/BayArea dealer--details as follows:
-36M
-10K miles/yr
-$2000down
-35monthly payments of $125

So, total over 3 years (incl all taxes fees etc, except dispo fee): $6375.

And after CArebate that total goes down by $2500 to: $3875.

As noted the above does not include dispo fee at end of lease if i dont buy (residual $12,579) or get another lease -- the dispo fee is $350.

Stevens Creek was doing zero down & $159/month so that's a total of $5565. Not exactly sure what the taxes and fees work out to on a 2016 SE but I imagine the total would be in that same ballpark. Deal expired yesterday, but considering there's still 3 days left on the $1500 conquest discount I'd imagine most dealers would either match or come very close to it.

Also I stopped at Sunnyvale right before Christmas and they said while their inventory right now is low, they're expecting 20-30 arrivals first week of January. Something to consider as high inventory means better negotiation.

johnnylingo said:
Stevens Creek was doing zero down & $159/month so that's a total of $5565. Not exactly sure what the taxes and fees work out to on a 2016 SE but I imagine the total would be in that same ballpark. Deal expired yesterday, but considering there's still 3 days left on the $1500 conquest discount I'd imagine most dealers would either match or come very close to it.

Also I stopped at Sunnyvale right before Christmas and they said while their inventory right now is low, they're expecting 20-30 arrivals first week of January. Something to consider as high inventory means better negotiation.
Not quite. I just looked at the Stevens deal
$159 Plus Tax title License.
That was $1900 on mine. So that's $52 extra so that's really 211 per month.

forbin404 said:
$159 Plus Tax title License.
That was $1900 on mine. So that's $52 extra so that's really 211 per month.

Yeah, I think this has been the prevailing issue when comparing details - those fees are between $1300 and $3000. Some are including them, some are not.

oleole said:
forbin404, can you share which dealer/sales you made the deal? Thanks.
http://www.vwofgg.com/global-incentives-search/2016-Volkswagen-e-Golf-Hatchback-Offers-US2016VWN1df6f85b33e2fd3c587e8f0.htm
I used this as my basis and after about an hour of going back and forth and back and forth I got it for $206 otd.

This one is $169 Plus $1900 which should've put it about $220

Finalized a 12K miles lease deal on 2016 SE

$1500 Drive off (Including first payment)
$163 Per month (Including Tax)

Total Out of Pocket = 35*$163 + $1500 = $7205 [~$200 Per Month before CA rebate]

$131 final cost per month [after CA rebate]

nupami said:

Total Out of Pocket = 35*$163 + $1500 = $7205 [~$200 Per Month before CA rebate]

Would you mind pm me the dealer and sales contact info? I would love to get a similar deal like yours.

PM sent to your inbox.

xbox409 said:
nupami said:

Would you mind pm me the dealer and sales contact info? I would love to get a similar deal like yours.

nupami said:

Would you mind PM me the dealership and sales contact info as well, please?

Thanks in advance

Back